Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Quick Update...

Sorry it's been a while since my last movie post. All of the summer movies have passed, and now we are moving into fall movies followed by what is sure to be a sweet holiday season for movies. Here's a quick overview of what's playing.

Another summer of superheroes:
The Avengers - Easily my favorite movie of the year.
The Amazing Spiderman - If you like superhero movies, see it. It's not a major departure from others, but more family friendly.
The Dark Knight Rises - Bane is disturbing, but not as much as the Joker. 

Family movies I actually enjoyed:
The Odd Life of Timothy Green - What a great movie. Grab your tissues and a little patience for an imperfect script, and you'll love it.
Ice Age: Continental Drift - I laughed so much, which is unusual for me in animated movies that aren't by Pixar.

Good views:
The Bourne Legacy - It's an entirely different thread of the story, but still has the feel of a Bourne movie.
The Hunger Games - I'm tucking this into the middle of my post in the hopes of not stirring up too much controversy. If you want to hear my thoughts about the books/movie, just ask me sometime.
Premium Rush - Joseph Gordon-Levitt is growing on me, and he's quite funny in this cycling, speed chase film. It does seem like I saw this in the 80's starring Kevin Bacon, though.


Just awful:
The Cold Light of Day-This is just a terrible movie. Terrible script, terrible editing, terrible cinematography. Not even rent-worthy if you ask me.
Snow White and The Huntsman - I was thoroughly unimpressed, though you might want to rent it and decide for yourself.
Men in Black III - My husband would disagree with me here. He thought it was hilarious. It was wasted on me. I fell asleep.

On my watch list:
The Words
Sparkle
2016 Obama's America

You'd better have a really strong stomach, deaf ears, and blind eyes.:
Lawless - Apparently, it's a very good depiction of the book (which I have not read). There is SO much language and brutal murder that I turned my head a lot. On top of that, there was nudity, which I would typically walk out of, but I was so caught up in the shock factor of the rest of the movie that I was paralyzed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was nominated for some awards since it is based on a book and had a really dark plot.

Lame, but so fun:
Step Up Revolution - I didn't discover Step Up 'til last year, but I am so into it. Laugh if you want...

One in a line of many supernatural kids' movies to come:
ParaNorman- I have seen so many previews of this movie that I literally groan out loud when another one appears. Soon to come: Hotel Transylvania and Frankenweenie. No, thank you.

Liked it, but can't recommend it:
Hope Springs - Two actors: Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. Two words: sex therapy.
Total Recall - Didn't see the original, but I liked to psychological factor in this sci-fi movie. BUT, out of nowhere, there's a three-second bizarre topless flash that caused the whole audience to call out "whoa!".  Ruined my recommendation.
Prometheus- I am not a horror film girl, but this one got me. I think it's a prequel to Alien, which I have never seen. I laughed through most of the alien scenes simply out of surprise at myself for watching it.

Looks too raunchy for me:
Hit and Run
The Campaign
 
And then there's Brave. They hooked us a year in advance with a colorful poster of a red-haired, bow-wielding girl. We had no choice. We left bummed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment